Tuesday, April 7, 2009

2009.04.07

Here's an atypical entry, per your inspiration, Jess - just pour toi :)

A unexpectedly life-altering film, put out by Disney, nonetheless - Tru Confessions (2002): "Trudy 'Tru' Walker thought she had the worst life ever and having a father who was always working, a mother who never took her side, and a mentally challenged brother didn't help. But when Tru gets a chance to follow her dream and star in a TV Show, she finds out what it really means to be a family" (IMDB, 2009).

The scene that has had the most immense impact on me and my life, I've attached below.

Since my wee-little years in elementary school, to be traced back to grade 3 or 4, I've known what would make my life complete (so to speak, my calling) thanks to a young fellow, around my age, named James. James is mentally impaired. Being so young at the time, I dared not as why or how. However, without knowing why, or how, or even when, I knew that whatever the answers to these questions, I would find them unfair and illogical. I spent endless lunch recesses in the company of James: playing kickball in the gymnasium, listening to Mary Poppin's records, and baking, to uncover the answers for myself. I never did uncover the asnwers to these questions, and to this day wonder what they may have been. Although, this has taught me that, regardless of the answers unveiled in a person's history, each person deserve the same treatment, not more or less, regardless of ailment or status. Each person should be approachd with a clean slate, and a chance to make their own first impression. Although it has been years since I've seen James, I can say with confidence that he has been, and will continue to be, one of the most influential people that I have come across in my life time. He has opened my eyes to the many ways that one can choose to view the human life, as beautiful, sacred, worthy and unforetelling... and for this, I thank him.

Please, take the time to watch the clip, regardless of how painful it may be for some to watch, and take from it what you will.

No comments: